Saturday, August 11, 2012

Now what the hell do I do....

OK first off let me apologize, I know that for most people this is not a real problem. Its not life of death, and no one will die regardless of what I choose... But I am scared and not sure what to do...

I can't really turn to family without getting judged, so I figured I could just vent here. (EDIT - to be fair not my whole family)

I have been looking for a house on and off for a few years now. Currently, I rent a three story town house, but with my back, hip and knee problems I need to get away from stairs.

Finding the required space for "MB" and I, in a layout that works has not been easy. I think I found something today. The layout is fantastic, all the room we need and then some.

So, hey idiot what is the problem....(I imagine you yelling at me, some louder than others, you know who you are ;-)    )

It is at the very top of my price range, and would literally double what I am currently paying a month. I think I could do it, but am terrified about it. I work a contract position, which means it could go away. Currently the contract is supposed to be through 2016 but I have seen contracts end with almost no notice.

God, Goddess and whomever willing I would be able to find another contract. But if I spend money I could be putting in savings then what happens if it takes weeks or even months. What do I do if I take money that I could be putting away in case something happens...

Do I take a leap of faith, and go for the house?

Do I play it safe, and keep looking for a house that will be less perfect for us but more affordable?  Even though I have not found it after years of looking?

I just don't know what to do...Do I jump in the water, or stay safe on the dock?

Have you ever had to make a decision that had you this confused, or scared?  How did you decided?
Did it work out, or did you regret it later?


  1. in most cases I say take a leap of faith, but not in home buying.

  2. Except for the "I may lose my job in the near future" aspect, that's the very way we bought our house. We were a two-income family when we bought it and it was just barely in our price range and then my husband did lose his job. Now we're a one-income family and I incurred new student loans in that time...but we're making it. I am making it work because I wanted my own home so badly.
    I think it comes down to what you are willing to do and which priorities rank highest. You've got your boy to worry about first and foremost so that could be a factor in this decision. I didn't have that. My first priority, above all else, was to end renting and begin owning and to be back in the town in which I grew up. I made that happen and I keep it happening because I will starve to death before I miss a house payment. I can afford to think that way.
    If it's the house in the pictures you posted for us, it's lovely and I can see why it's perfect for you. But if you're having second thoughts, if this might not be the best choice at the right time and you can't work with the realtor or mortgage company to find a better way to make this house yours, don't worry. You can walk away from this one and still find another perfect home when the time is right. For realz.