Tuesday, July 17, 2012

You spent what???

Yes that is what I was asked today, when after being asked what I did over the weekend. My answer was simple, cleaned the house, grocery shopping, Tried to take "MB" sailing, and spent 10K on a dog.

That's right, you heard me correctly, I just spent 10K for a dog. A real live dog, not that I would not consider a taxidermy dog, but for 10K that dog would have to be gold plated and shit.

For those of you who someone have found this blog and are going Taxidermy Dog, what kind of freak are you?

Check out the bloggess, herself and her quest for a taxidermy miniature pony. This is such a awesome idea, that I immediately sent her an email, offering to chip in for it. If nothing else it will drive her husband Victor up the wall.

Ok, back to the 10K dog. For those who don't know I have a 14 year old son, nicknamed "Monkey Boy" or MB for short here in the blogosphere. MB, is autistic, with multiple other issue (Epilepsy, Anxiety, ADHD, and PMS (Psycho Mom Syndrome).

MB's issues make it difficult to go places. Every trip is a new adventure, and not always in a good way. I never know how he will react. One trip to the grocery store and everything is wonderful. The next trip he screams the entire time.

So I finally came up with the money to purchase him a service dog. The dog will be trained to deal with anxiety and calm him. In addition it will be trained to alert for seizures, and as a search and rescue dog.

I am not yet sure if what the sex will be but I do know that it will be a Cane Corso (pronounced Car-Knee Corso).

     

The color is not guaranteed, but really hope he/she is black. So yes, I have spent an insane amount of money on a dog, but if it gives "MB" more freedom then it will be worth every penny.

We should be picking the dog up around January, I will let you know how it works out.

2 comments:

  1. My neighbor bought a service dog and named him/her Pilot. It looks like one of those cute stuffed dogs and it isn't very well trained...it's a puppy and it jumps all over people. The mom told me that she thinks the dog is probably helping her more than her son as it gives her a break from lavishing all of her attention on her son who often doesn't bother to pay attention to her. Also, the dog constantly tries to bite her son's toes and that gives everyone something to do. We like the dog in the building as it gives everyone something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are so ridiculously helpful to people (autistic or not) who have trouble connecting or need tons of attention: what a fabulous thing to do for your family. A dog trained to help keep an eye out for medical issues, keep him calm and relaxed AND lavish him with attention is worth EVERY PENNY. I'm so happy for all three of you, and I hope they bond like PB&J! :)

    ReplyDelete